I'm looking for a new position, so if you know of anything interesting, let me know.
I also help organise the Humans, Language, Technology Meetup to help promote Natural Language Processing in Sydney.
I was lead data scientist / engineer at hugo.ai, helping build collective intelligence systems that find, organise and summarise information.
Before that, I was a PhD student at Schwa Lab in the School of IT supervised by James Curran and Ben Hachey. Much of my academic work has been in collaboration with the Capital Markets Cooperative Research Centre.
- Named Entity Linking (my PhD topic): At the University of Sydney, we participated in the NEL track of TAC in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 -- here's a high-level poster. We also launched a product with Fairfax based on this research, named zoom (paywall).
- Natural language understanding for dialogue: At XRCE, I work on trying to unpack meaning from dialogue, including what dialogue acts people are using, and the entities they are talking about.
- Computational social science: At XRCE, I worked on trying to compare gender representations onscreen and in real life using IMDb. This was presented at the web science track of the WWW conference, and got picked up by the New York Times.
- Emoji: As a side-project, I did some analysis on the EmojiDick project 😎
- Tracking Information Flow in Finance Text (my Honours project in 2009): We built a classifier to predict when financial information flowed between pairs of ASX company announcements and Reuters news stories.
- Teaching: I tutored INFO1903 Infomatics (Advanced) (2010, 2011, 2012) and COMP5338 Advanced Data Models (2010, 2011). I received a 2012 Dean's Award for Excellence in Tutoring (School).
- Bo Han, Will Radford, Anaïs Cadilhac, Art Harol, Andrew Chisholm, Ben Hachey Post-edit Analysis of Collective Biography Generation to appear in WWW17 (poster) [submission]
- Andrew Chisholm, Will Radford and Ben Hachey Learning to generate one-sentence biographies from Wikidata to appear in EACL17 [submission]
- Will Radford, Andrew Chisholm, Ben Hachey and Bo Han 📞👨⛵🐳👌; or "Call me Ishmael" - How do you translate emoji? in ALTA16 [submission] [www] [Jupyter notebook]
- Xavier Holt, Will Radford and Ben Hachey Presenting a New Dataset for the Timeline Generation Problem in ALTA16 [submission] [www]
- Will Radford, Matthias Gallé Tracking onscreen gender and role bias over time in Journal of Web Science [www]
- Glen Pink, Will Radford and Ben Hachey Classification of mental health forum posts in Proceedings of the Third Workshop on Computational Lingusitics and Clinical Psychology [www]
- Andrew Chisholm, Will Radford and Ben Hachey Discovering Entity Knowledge Bases on the Web in Proceedings of the Fifth Workshop on Automated Knowledge Base Construction (AKBC) [www] [shared task]
- Julien Perez and Will Radford Probabilistic matching for dialog state tracking with limited training data in International Workshop on Spoken Dialogue Systems (IWSDS) [www]
- Will Radford, Matthias Gallé Discriminating between similar languages in Twitter using label propagation in arXiv [www] [patent]
- Will Radford, Xavier Carreras, Jamie Henderson Named entity recognition with document-specific KB tag gazetteers in Proceedings of the Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing, EMNLP 15 [www]
- Will Radford, Matthias Gallé "Roles for the boys?" Mining cast lists for gender and role distributions over time in Proceedings of the 24th International World Wide Web Conference, WWW 15 (Web Science) [submission] [www] [New York Times]
- Will Radford, Daniel Tse, Joel Nothman, Ben Hachey, George Wright, James R. Curran, Will Cannings, Tim O'Keefe, Matt Honnibal, David Vadas, Candice Loxley The Computable News project: research in the newsroom in Proceedings of the 2nd workshop on Web and Data Science for News Publishing [submission] [www]
- Will Radford Linking Named Entities to Wikipedia PhD thesis [www]
- Ben Hachey, Joel Nothman, Will Radford Cheap and easy entity evaluation in Proceedings of the 52nd Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (Volume 2: Short Papers) [www]
- Ben Hachey, Will Radford, Joel Nothman, Matthew Honnibal, James R. Curran Evaluating entity linking with Wikipedia Artificial Intelligence [www]
- Joel Nothman, Nicky Ringland, Will Radford, Tara Murphy, James R. Curran Learning multilingual named entity recognition from Wikipedia Artificial Intelligence [www]
- Will Radford, James R. Curran Joint apposition extraction with syntactic and semantic constraints in Proceedings of the 51st Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (Volume 2: Short Papers) [www]
- Glen Pink, Will Radford, Will Cannings, Andrew Naoum, Joel Nothman, Daniel Tse, James R. Curran SYDNEY_CMCRC at TAC 2013 in Proceedings of the Text Analysis Conference (to appear) [www]
- Will Radford, Will Cannings, Andrew Naoum, Joel Nothman, Glen Pink, Daniel Tse, James R. Curran (Almost) Total Recall -- SYDNEY_CMCRC at TAC 2012 in Proceedings of the Text Analysis Conference [www]
- Ben Hachey, Will Radford, James R. Curran Graph-based named entity linking with Wikipedia in Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Web Information System Engineering [www] | [www]
- Will Radford, Ben Hachey, Matthew Honnibal, Joel Nothman, James R. Curran Naive but effective NIL clustering baselines -- CMCRC at TAC 2011 in Proceedings of the Text Analysis Conference [www]
- Will Radford, Ben Hachey, James R. Curran, Maria Milosavljevic Tracking information flow between primary and secondary news sources in Proceedings of the NAACL HLT 2010 Workshop on Computational Linguistics in a World of Social Media [www]
- Maria Milosavljevic, Jean-Yves Delort, Ben Hachey, Bavani Arunasalam, Will Radford, James R. Curran Automating financial surveillance in User Centric Media (LNCS) [www]
- Will Radford, Ben Hachey, Joel Nothman, Matthew Honnibal, James R. Curran Document-level entity linking: CMCRC at TAC 2010 in Proceedings of the Text Analysis Conference [www]
- Will Radford Tracking information flow in finance text - Honours thesis [www]
- Will Radford, Ben Hachey, James R Curran, Maria Milosavljevic Tracking information flow in financial text in Proceedings of the Australasian Language Technology Association Workshop 2009 [www]
- Dominique Estival, Tanja Gaustad, Son Bao Pham, Ben Hutchinson, Will Radford Author Proﬁling for English Emails in Proceedings of the 10th Conference of the Paciﬁc Association for Computational Linguistics [www]
- Dominique Estival, Tanja Gaustad, Son Bao Pham, Ben Hutchinson, Will Radford TAT: an author profiling tool with application to arabic emails in Proceedings of the Australasian Language Technology Workshop 2007 [www]
- Asia Information Retrieval Societies Conference in 2010 and 2011.
- Linked Data for Information Extraction in 2014 and 2015.
- Australasian Language Technology Association Workshop in 2014, 2015 and 2016.
- Australasian Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence in 2015.
- Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing in 2015 and 2016.
- North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics in 2016.
- Workshop on Noisy User-generated Text (W-NUT) in 2016.